Thursday 11 October 2012

Dress Up

I live in a small city in a very rural province. It is not uncommon to go to a wedding or expensive event and see men and women wearing their best jeans. Our little city is getting better as the east and west coast trends drift to our central location. The bling trend has definitely hit our city hard.
I am so lucky to work at a job where I am expected and want to be dressed up for the events I attend. Because I work at a dress boutique I can often get away with being over dressed.
2008
I wore this dress almost 5 years ago on new years eve. I had just turned 19 a few months before and bought this for my birthday present. At the time I felt like it was so expensive and special as it was made in America. I just loved it!
2010
Sorry I don't have a very good photo of this gown but I wanted to share it. This piece was a huge deal to me. It is from a designer that is made in Canada--which I love--and after I wore it I saw it in a ton of magazines. It was also the first gown I wore since my high school graduation.
2011
I love, love, love Arthur Mendonca!!!!! This was my second cocktail dress designed by him. I had appropriate shoes but as I was working back stage at a fashion show I did not want to risk wearing them.
2011
This was my first ever Arthur Mendonca dress. I have worn it probably over 15 times. It is all silk and so versatile. The green snake skin bag is by Hunter and was a gift from my best friend. She brought it back from Greece and was in a nasty cat fight for it!
2011
I try to avoid wearing black as often as possible to events because I find that it doesn't stand out. Working at the store I have found that many women choose black because they feel uncomfortable being so "flashy". When I look back at photos I feel that black looks dumpy when everyone is wearing it. 
2012
I pulled this photo from a local magazines website City Slicker. This guy I am standing with is was so sweet. He approached me asking if he could take a photo of my dress for his blog because he loved it. I felt a little uncomfortable as I knew this dress would not photograph well. It is so beautiful in person with it's delicate bead work and very low back. However, because it is not fitted I find that in photos I look a lot bigger than I am.

To avoid going the tacky route when I get dressed up I avoid jewellery and over doing my hair and makeup. If I had a week to get ready for an event I would use every second of that time. However it usually only takes me less than an hour to get everything done

No comments:

Post a Comment